Here are some tips for embracing a healthy smile:
1) Eat healthy
The health of your gums is going to suffer from processed and refined foods. To achieve healthy gums you need to have a diet rich in whole foods such as fruits,vegetables and whole grain. Sweeteners as aspartame will make you vulnerable to gum disease.
2) Floss only those teeth you want to keep
It is important to floss not only to clean in between the teeth but also to stimulate the blood circulation in gums. If your gums are bleeding when flossing don’t be alarmed just keep flossing because may take up to two weeks until bleeding will stop. When gums are bleeding they are just crying for more cleaning.
3) Maintain a balanced diet
- Fruits and vegetables(at least 30%-40% of your balanced diet)
- Carbs such as bread,rice,potatoes and pasta(30% of your balanced diet)
- Proteins such as meat,fish,eggs and beans(20% of your balanced diet)
- Milk and Dairy Foods(20% of your balanced diet)
- Fatty and Sugary Foods(less than 10 % of your balanced diet)
4) Quit smoking
Smoking kills cells inside your mouth. Smoking can make your mouth susceptible to infections and is one of the leading causes of oral cancer.
5) Use a mouthwash after tooth brushing
Oral rinses significantly reduces plaque and signs of gingivitis when used in addition to tooth brushing compared with tooth brushing alone.
6) Chew sugar free gums
Sugar free gums sweetened with xylitol has been shown to reduce cavities and plaque. The sweetener sorbitol has the same benefit, but is only about one third as effective as Xylitol.